Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happiness is...

It’s been a long time since I’ve written in this blog. Not that I’ve not written anything -bits and pieces per my usual, and I’ve been working on a musical parody as my first official assignment as (ehem) a new Artistic Associate with Hubris Productions (more on that later). And my absence certainly hasn’t been lack of inspiration – in fact I’ve had a wealth of inspirational articles and topics and readings come my way since last I blogged. A friend of mine passed along a fantastic videoed speech on the nature of creativity given by Elizabeth Gillbert. I read Eat, Pray, Love , a memoire authored by that very same Elizabeth Gilbert (if you haven’t read it, you should). I read a quite disturbing article about luxury and relative personal economics. And I’ve been meaning to have a long-overdue discussion with Feminism…but oi, I’ve been busy.

I stumbled upon this blog yesterday* 13 Tips for Actually Getting Some Writing Done , which prompted me to go here today*. I realized, if I go back to the very first post I made here, this blog has always been about the pursuit of happiness. A creative happiness, but happiness none the less – and it’s high time I picked up my blogging-stick.

I’m going to start by working on my own set of happiness commandments. I’ve been compiling a list of quotes and potential commandments and would like to share a few (ha!) that may or may not make the official list. Perhaps over time I can suss out the ones that seem repetitive, the ones that bear repeating, and the ones I can’t (or at least shouldn’t) live without. And the ultimate goal would be to have a succinct (good luck Cali – perhaps my 1st commandment should be “be brief”) list that applies to both my life and my creative productivity (perhaps there’s another commandment “creativity is life and life is creative – stop trying to put them in separate boxes”). I can see already that “be brief” one would be really tough…

The list so far:

Be brief

Creativity is life and life is creative – stop trying to put them in separate boxes.

Philosophy is best expressed in the choices we make. – modified quote, Elenore Roosevelt

Being happy is a choice and a duty. –modified quote Robert Louis Stevenson

St. Therese wrote: "When one loves, one does not calculate."

Act as I want to feel / fake it till you make it (thank you Candice Koern)

Quit bitching and do something.

We don’t sing because we are happy. We are happy because we sing. – Dr. Claire Buie Chaney

Be Kind and Patient

So you say I gotta be me – Revenge of the nerds

When asked, “Master, which is the great commandment in the law?” Jesus answered, “Thou shalt love the Lord they God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.” Matthew 22:36-40.

Say Yes, and… - Second City

Ralph Waldo Emerson :
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty, to find the best in others; to leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden, or a redeemed social condition; to know even one life has breathed easier because you lived. This is to have succeeded."

Progress, not perfection, is what we should be asking of ourselves. – The Artist’s Way

On that same topic: Practice does not make perfect – but it does make progress.

Love is action

If you can't show compassion for yourself, how will you ever be able to show compassion to others

I will sell this house today. – American Beauty

Let go

Persistence, Permanence, Perception – Dr. Claire Buie Chaney
(I would add Patience)

Happiness is a choice

Words have power. Speak into existence only that which is positive.

You must do the thing you think you cannot do

Seek God and give thanks.

Breathe

Pray

Give for the sake of giving

Read

You can’t get what you don’t ask for

Give more than I take

Finish what you start

Quality time with loved ones does not include TV

Be Cali

Until I get these distilled down to 10 I’ll be spending some time with them here discussing what they mean to me, how they can and should apply to my pursuit of happiness, etc.

*The yesterday referenced was actually Wednesday 5/27 – perhaps I should add “Stop procrastinating!”

No comments:

Post a Comment